Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Where Parenting and Ecology Unify

Welcome to my first blog. I want to use the forum to encourage Hoosiers and transplants to Indiana to take up the causes of conservation, preservation and protection of the environment. These causes are dear to my heart for they are about my children and everyone else's children.

How ecologically responsible we are today means the world to them tomorrow. In conjunction, how we parent grounds our families today and influences a kinder generation for the future -- focusing less on consuming and material existence and more on a respectful coexistence with others and the Earth.I look forward to a dialog that helps make the future better for all who come after us.

4 comments:

Mama Q said...

Heya, look forward to checking in, Mr. Earth Daddy. Happy New Year!

earth parent said...

Glad to hear from you. Hope all is going well in your part of the world. I would love to see you all sometime.

Anonymous said...

Welcome to the blogosphere Papa Chris! I can't wait to see what you have to say! :)

Are we going to talk about how to get a city recycling program going in Indianapolis? I can't believe they don't have one yet, and I'd like to be vocal to the right people about it, but I don't know where to start.

-Katrina

earth parent said...

I am a firm believer in recycling as you know. I communicate frequently with the Exec Director of Indiana Recycling Coalition - Michelle Cohen.

Until the politicians see that it is something they can leverage, I don't believe it will happen. They are really leaving it to the private sector. Instead, what I recommend is a more grassroots approach.

Start with your own home, then spread your influence to include a few neighbors working together, then a few more. Get your home assocation or management company to start. Then they can join with another group or two to save money.

As it spreads, it becomes an important issue that the politicians have to catch up to.
And the market will emerge if businesses see the potential benefit.

It requires much effort, persistance and patience.

I will help ANYONE who wants to make recycling happen in their neigborhood.

Be sure to check out www.indianarecycling.org to find local recycling facilities.

Hope that helps. Let me know if I can do anything more.